Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 10: Muffins & Dining Out

Breakfast

Today we tried a new recipe for whole-wheat muffins and my sweet little darling LO was the perfect little helper! When I've made Lisa's whole-wheat recipes in the past (you know, like last week), I would do a half whole-what flour and half white flour mix to help "ease" the kids into eating whole-wheat baked goods. But this morning I decided after a whopping 9 days, the kids were ready. So I made them with 100% white whole-wheat flour and we added a variety of fruit: bananas, strawberries and blueberries. I also doubled the recipe (to make 24) so I could freeze the leftovers for quick and easy breakfasts later.


I was really hopeful that since LO helped make the muffins that she'd really enjoy them. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. She basically picked the strawberries out and left the muffin behind. And of course asked for a different breakfast. :( FAIL. I'm thinking I'll try them on her again in the next day or two and let her put some strawberry jelly on hers to see if that helps.

I definitely tasted the difference with them being made from only whole-wheat flour and they weren't nearly as sweet as I was hoping they'd be. But the fruit helped balance them out a bit with the added sweetness, in my opinion.


Lunch

Lunch was a tried-and-true favorite: quesadillas! Since we had our homemade whole-wheat tortillas stored nicely in the freezer, it was just a matter of LO grating some cheese for the kids' quesadilla, and mommy cutting up a few veggies and some leftover cooked chicken breast and sautéing them quickly for mine. LO got some grapes out and I cut up a fresh tomato for her and I (Chase is like his daddy... I can't get him to eat tomatoes!) as well as some cheese cut into sticks and a yogurt tube (finally the LAST of our processed 'go-gurt' tubes -- more on this later!).

Here's LO's lunch... she had already gobbled up her cheese before I could grab my iPhone! And yes, it was after 12PM noon and the kids were still in their pajamas.


Chase obviously went to town on the grapes first...


And mommy's lunch! I shared half of one of these quesadillas with a good friend of mine and she LOVED it! Seriously, these are SO incredibly tasty, so quick and easy to prepare, and so good for you, too! A win-win-win!!! :) And I was very pleased that I was only able to eat half of this quesadilla before feeling almost full, another Michael Pollan rule.


Dinner

Dinner was our first experiment with dining out since we started our whole food journey. We chose a local restaurant featuring Contemporary American Italian Cuisine, and I went into it knowing we were about to break some rules. The kids menu was typical, although missing the typical "chicken nuggets & fries" and "hamburger" it did include macaroni & cheese and spaghetti with a meatball. I opted to let the kids split the spaghetti meal. I inquired if they offered a whole wheat pasta option and was told no.  :( I brought grapes, cheese and applesauce to supplement the kids' dinner, which they ate in record time.


I selected the traditional house salad with diced tomatoes, rosemary croutons (which I omitted) and any signature dressing, of which I chose a three-herb vinaigrette. It was an amazing little salad, comprised mostly of various greens.


Hubs chose the homestyle cannelloni: pasta stuffed with sliced grilled chicken, mozzarella, ricotta cheese and garlic topped with tomato cream sauce, and I opted for the chicken piccata (Francese Style): tender chicken medallions thinly pounded and sautéed in lemon butter, white wine, capers and garlic over capellini. Hubs' dinner was definitely a delicious cheese-fest, while mine was rather light but disappointing. When it arrived, I was surprised to see that the chicken had been breaded/"fried" considering the description didn't mention anything other than the chicken being pounded thin and sautéed in lemon butter. :( Oh, well. It was still pretty delicious and yes, I pretty much cleared the plate.


The only real positive note (from a real food perspective) was that I told the waiter not to bring any bread to our table (they serve each table a fresh loaf of some sort of white bread). So SCORE, right? Hmph. I'm kind of disappointed with myself because I was hoping to be able to stick to our plan a bit better than we did. But at the same time, I have to stop and remind myself that this sort of meal was more of a norm for us in the past, rather than the exception it was tonight. I feel pretty proud about that.

I will add that after dinner, we ran a few quick errands, including a stop at Target (which I LOVE by the way now that we have a GROCERY section! Woot!). I was able to pick up more bananas, apples and strawberries, as well as TWO boxes of my beloved Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal. This was a major score because literally less than 2 hours after we ate our rule-breaking dinner, all four of us hit the box of cereal on the way home and downed over half!


Crazy, right? Durn processed white pasta... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment