Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 6!

This morning we started the day with some amazing whole-wheat banana pancakes from 100 Days of Real Food. LO wanted waffles and Chase wanted pancakes, so I opted for the pancakes because the clean up is so much easier. ;)

I've made this recipe before (about a year ago) using only white whole-wheat flour and honestly it wasn't sweet enough and was such a different flavor than my family was used to that the kids wouldn't even eat them. So this time, I did a 50-50 mix of white whole-wheat flour and white flour, so technically they weren't 100% whole food, but I'm okay with that as my family and I ease into the task of eliminating processed foods. I used two rather large bananas (LO helped my mushing them up for me) and added an extra teaspoon of honey. Other than that, I made them per the original recipe and they were amazing!!! I added fresh blueberries to some of them and they were crazy awesome! The recipe made about 2 dozen pancakes so I had plenty of leftovers to freeze for quick and easy future breakfasts.


For lunch I made a vegetable quesadilla using my homemade whole-wheat tortillas and it was just as delish as the one I made on Saturday! The kids ate PB&Js using the fresh jarred strawberry jelly we picked up from the farmer's market on Saturday. I wasn't super happy with it because I asked how the lady made it and she told me sugar and pectin, yet I bought it anyway. Grrrrr! It was crazy super sweet, so I can only imagine how much sugar is in that little jar. :( The kids also had a variety of fruits and veggies, raisins, cheese and yogurt.

For dinner, I made spaghetti and meatballs from 100 Days of Real Food. I'm keeping it real here, so I'll tell ya I was super bummed that I didn't have any whole-wheat spaghetti and had to use the bad boxed stuff. Not that it's horrible or anything, but I'm just trying to do the best I can, which means trying to eliminate that sort of stuff. I did make the meatballs according to Lisa's recipe and they were very tasty! I was surprised to see that Chase ate ALL of his spaghetti and diced meatball pieces, which is a new accomplishment for him! LO was not on board with the meatballs, but tried them anyway and said she didn't like them. :( I also served tomato slices and corn, both from my local farmer's market.


I've started thinking about food for the 4th on Wednesday and haven't been able to figure anything out just yet. I don't want to spend the entire day in the kitchen, so I'm trying to find a way to keep it low-key but also real (food). We might grill the steaks I picked up from the farmer's market and serve it with salad and some fresh fruit. I'm pretty sure I'll make some kind of dessert as well, but I know that'll be a big challenge to make it with only whole food. Any suggestions? ;)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete