Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Day 7: A Full Week!

I am so proud of myself and my family for completing the first full week in our journey to eliminate processed foods! My kids have surprised me many times over the past 7 days with what they'll actually eat and it just goes to show you kids will eat what you put in front of them! They haven't even been asking for chips, cookies, fruit snacks, or any of the variety of processed foods I used to provide to them daily. I'm SO impressed!

I wasn't able to try any new recipes today, which is both good and bad. It's bad because I love cooking and trying new recipes and watching in amazement as the transformation away from processed foods takes place in my home. But it's good because I didn't spend the entire day in the kitchen! :)

For breakfast we had leftover whole-wheat banana/blueberry with pure maple syrup. I tried the pure maple syrup on the kids about 6 months or so ago, and they weren't having it. But the kind I picked up from Whole Foods is "thick & rich" so it looked more like the old stuff they were used to. They didn't complain a bit! They also had strawberries and turkey bacon.

Lunch was another vegetable quesadilla for me (I can't get enough of those things!) with some grapes, and the kids had PB&Js (sensing a lunchtime pattern here, are you?) with fruit, cheese and yogurt.

I wasn't able to make anything for dinner tonight since I had to work, but I did take leftovers with me (spaghetti with meatballs), as well as applesauce and a banana.

Tomorrow I'm planning to whip up some homemade strawberry ice cream since it's a holiday and I'm gonna break my "weekend only dessert" rule for the kids. I can't wait to try it! We plan to spend the holiday at the pool for a bit and, like most of America, have a cookout for dinner before going to see fireworks. This year will be quite different than last year, though. We're planning honey brined grilled chicken, corn on the cob and tons of fruits & veggies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment